Friday, December 12, 2008

Craft Christmas Day 23

Well Christmas is getting close... very close, I don't need a calender to tell me. All I need to do is look at the tv to see that once again my son is watching Alvin and the Chipmunks and singing along to "I just want a Hula Hoop". I'm sure we all remember a time when a Hula Hoop was so much fun. Well now we can relive those times with adult hula hoops from Sassy Hoops. I met Julia last month at our EtsyDallas Jingle Bash. She is such a ball of energy, the whole show she was in front of her booth hula hooping, showing others how, even letting the little ones in on the fun. One of Sassy Hoops hula hoops would be a great fit, not only is it super fun, but a great way to work off all those Christmas goodies.

Here's a little about Sassy Hoops:

How long have you been crafting?
I've been seriously crafting for the past 15 years. I've experimented with all sorts of mediums like jewelry, purses, knitted and crocheted items. Through a life-changing process, I discovered hula hooping. I began making my own hoops in 2003 for friends and family. There was quite a learning curve on perfecting the process, discovering what worked and what didn't work.

What inspires your art?
My twin girls inspire me. They are 19 months old and are discovering the joy of colors. I love coming up with new color combos. I test spin each hoop after I create it to see what kinds of swirls it makes in motion. With each hoop I make, I think about how happy it's going to make the new owner. That little piece of joy inspires me to make more.

What are your favorite methods/ materials to use in your artwork?
I admit it. I'm a tape junkie. I love when clients suggest new tape combinations that I haven't thought of. In the beginning, I spent a lot of time experiementing with different types of tapes to make the best hoop. I've settled on mirror tape for flash and gaffer tape for a nice grip action. I'm also in love with glow in the dark tape. I'm in the process of creating LED light up hoops, which is fun because I do a lot of soldering and technical work. I still have a few challenges to overcome with the LED hoops before I can be satisfied with the quality.

What sets you apart from other artist?
Some people may think I'm taking major liberties calling hula hoops "art", but I really think of them as kinetic sculptures. The best part is you bring them to life. I like knowing that each hoop is also a tool for fitness and health. I've battled with exercise, body image and weight all my life. When I'm hooping, I don't hold back. I let all of those insecurities go. My hope is to inspire others to do the same.

You can find all colors and sizes of hula hoops in Julia's Etsy shop http://www.sassyhoops.etsy.com

No comments: