Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tutorial- Domino Necklace


I've been seeing these necklaces all over the place, on Etsy, at craft shows, so I've decided to make a few myself. They are great gifts for friends and family. You can really personalize them any way you want. I thought I would make a nice Christmas necklace for my sons teacher.
*This is the first tutorial I write so I'm not sure if I'm going overboard with the pictures. I'm a very visual person, so I love tutorials with lots of step by step photos.


Supplies:
Mod Podge glue
Domino
E6000 glue
glitter glue
jewel glue
ribbon
scissors
paint brush
rhinestones
pliers
ribbon clasp
spacer bead
small charm
pen
scrapbook paper/ magazine / photo ( any will work)

1. Gather supplies.

2. Trace domino on paper.

3. Cut out domino shape.

4. Use Mod Podge to glue paper to blank side of domino. Seal top of paper with Mod Podge.

5. Add a layer of glitter glue. (optional)

6. Use E6000 to glue charm on to domino.

7. Use E6000 to glue spacer bead to the top of the domino.

8. Use jewel glue to add on rhinestones.

9. Measure 18"-20" of ribbon. Cut and add ribbon clasp using pliers.


10. Allow domino to dry then string the ribbon through the spacer bead. Now your necklace is done. Package it up and you have a nice little gift.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super nifty! Does the E6000 do a fantastic job? I seem to recall using it long ago and having just one item come off a brooch I made. Nice idea, using the spacer bead instead of a bail.
Have fun at the Jingle Bash. I didn't have time to get enough work together to make it worthwhile for me.
Kathy
www.kathydkeith.etsy.com

Jennifer Ware said...

I never thought of using a spacer bead instead of a bail...the bails are hard to come by in craft stores and are pretty expensive. Thanks for the tip! I have a ton of dominos sitting around and can't wait to get started this weekend!

Anonymous said...

hi. i just wanted to say that your site was very helpful!!! and i too am a visual person. oh yeah, love the music too!!;)

Anonymous said...

Great idea with the spacer bead... I've been looking for the bails with no luck yet!!!!! I will be on my way to creating this weekend!

GrrlDetective said...

Thanks for putting together this tutorial. I've been wanting to try to make these for a while, but wasn't sure how to get started making one. This is very helpful.

Kristi B. said...

This is the BEST tutorial I've seen for these necklaces. Thank you for sharing!

Sara Arnold said...

Thank you so much for this info!! All too often people keep their tricks hidden.. I appreciate you teaching those of us that just want to try something new for our friends/family!! Thanks, again!!

Anonymous said...

Do you know where I can get some really nice looking bails? thanks,
send replies to sapruitt59@gmail.com
thankls